Master's Ark

Good day! If you are new to Aupitao, please create an account before getting started! Please ignore the DOWNLOAD and PLAY NOW buttons, simply go to the 'Register' tab up top!

Enjoy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Master's Ark

Good day! If you are new to Aupitao, please create an account before getting started! Please ignore the DOWNLOAD and PLAY NOW buttons, simply go to the 'Register' tab up top!

Enjoy!

Master's Ark

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Master's Ark

Created by an ancient race countless eons ago, four installations orbit around a single sun, each of them home to various races and species that must strive to survive, and possible encounter and uncover the purpose of the construct worlds they live on.

3 posters

Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal

metamer
    metamer

Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal Empty Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal

Post  metamer Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 am

Name: Melchior Ad'kanal
    Race: Tutdra

The rest of stuffs: In imagining what a people who live largely underwater, I'm thinking of a number of possible qualities. I'd think hair would generally be cut short or tied down in some way (who wants hair floating about in one's face?). I'm also thinking sound/music, particularly percussive, would play a big part, as to communicate warnings or messages underwater, there would need to be a tool other than voice, since opening one's mouth and yelling doesn't strike me as a great option with swimming. Also, culturally I'd imagine there to be a healthy bit of xenophobia as, if their almighty leader has said going on land is bad, those who live upon the land also = bad.

So, what I'm thinking in specific for Melchior is that he would have to be some sort of hunting(fishing?) type for him to have any chance of eventually winding up anywhere other than in Ussa'won. But, I don't think I want him to be the exception to the whole xenophobia angle. Education is likely to be more craft-based than academic, given again that the leader wants a population that stays put and doesn't get a case of exploration/manifest destiny/whatever. I'm also thinking family man for him.

And, where I'd like to take him would probably involve a slow process of arriving at the surface world, replete with various adventures underwater along the way, perhaps outlining some very small hints of the setting being more technological than is readily observable (not that he'd get what any of it was). The exact story I'm not yet decided upon, but I figure once I come to a reasonable point with who Melchior is, the story should stem from there. At least, that's the hope. So any other thoughts on the background of the Tutdra or Melchior in specific?
    Faeilynne
    Faeilynne

Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal Empty Re: Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal

Post  Faeilynne Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Agreed on the hair. Depending on how long they've been living down there, and how much time they actually spend in the water proper, I could easily imagine them shaving it all off or even being bald by nature to reduce drag while swimming. Being deep underwater would also severely limit their exposure to sunlight, so they'd probably be very pallid and sensitive to sun damage as well.
    Caeldren
    Caeldren
    Admin

Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal Empty Re: Character Developement: Melchior Ad'kanal

Post  Caeldren Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Agreed with Faellynne on those. I'm also curious as to how they are able to swim underwater for long periods of time, since they do live down there! Gills?! Maybe they a device that allows them to breathe that has some deep tie in to his ancestors and a close relative. The percussion idea is really cool too! Can't wait to hear about that [:
    Faeilynne
    Faeilynne

Post  Faeilynne Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Atmospheric pressure would be an issue as well, now that I think of it, for two reasons. First is that they'd need some kind of protection from it (and from the cold) if they were deep enough, and second is that they'd have to be extremely careful about re-entering their bubbles after being out in the water, or they could end up with some wicked decompression sickness.

On the upside, if they're right on the ocean floor, thermal vents would make for a handy source of heat for the city.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:07 pm